RE: CALLING ALL TRANSMISSION GURUS

To: "'Triumphs@autox. Net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: CALLING ALL TRANSMISSION GURUS
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:31:54 -0700
R. Ashford Little II wrote :

> I was wondering if my physics were backwards on that part.  But it
> seemed to me that if the pin or fork was an issue then it would not
> allow the cross shaft to rotate fully thus not having much throw in the
> slave.

The taper pin is what locates the fork to the cross-shaft, and the fork is
the only thing that stops the cross-shaft from turning.  Because of the
design, if the pin breaks, it will eventually jam and still locate the fork
to the shaft, but only after the shaft has turned farther than normal.  This
typically takes the point of full release out farther than the slave can
push (although I did manage to drive my TR3 with a broken pin for several
years, by fabricating a longer pushrod).

Nelson Riedel has posted some excellent information and photos at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm
that may help with the picture.

BTW, I like the "additional bolt" reinforcement method using a 1/4" bolt and
nyloc nut (AFAIK originally described by Ken Gillanders of BFE in the 1/93
issue of The Triumph Tribune).  It's simple, effective, and doable with
ordinary hand tools (although a drill press does make it easier).  I'd
recommend it to anyone who has their tranny out.  I've never heard of a
taper pin breaking after this simple modification.

Randall