RE: CALLING ALL TRANSMISSION GURUS

To: "Triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: CALLING ALL TRANSMISSION GURUS
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 02:52:52 -0700
> 1.  My tachometer reads about 500 rpm low at cruising speeds.  What
> exactly can be done to fix this?

Are you sure the tach is reading low ?  Reading high is the usual malady ...
and AFAIK replacement (either of the whole head or of the flying magnets
inside) is the only cure for reading low.

> The mechanic thinks that the friction plate is responsible for the jerky
> motion.

One possibility is that it was installed backwards ...

>  He is unsure of the reason for the other malady.  Now, I know
> that everyone is familiar with the broken taper pin story, but if my
> logic is correct, and IF I had another broken taper pin, it would seem
> to me that the pushrod in the slave would not have good travel.  So I'm
> stumped, and a bit tired of taking my transmission out (done that
> twice).

Actually, excess motion at the slave without fully releasing is exactly what
you would expect with a broken pin.  Other possibilities include a pilot
bearing that was damaged on installation, and the friction plate not sliding
easily on the splines due to rust or a burr somewhere.

On a related note, has anyone tried fitting a smaller i.d. slave cylinder to
a TR6 ?

Randall