Re: Rt angle speedo drive w/o 1:1 gearing?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rt angle speedo drive w/o 1:1 gearing?
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 00:02:12 +0100
Hi
Why would you want to look for an angle drive with a ratio not 1:1 when you
could simply change the output drive on the gearbox for the right one for a
3.67:1 ratio equipped car. This is what I had to do when I fitted a 3.45:1
axle in place of a 4.11:1 axle. (2000 MKI Manual with J type overdrive
instead of an A type).
I first found out the ratio for the speedo drive on the 3.45 equipped car, I
think it was a 6 start spiral and 21 teeth then with the percentage error of
the axle worked back the ratio to correct the speedo. I think that came to 6
starts and 17 teeth, I tried to obtain these bits and found it wasn't
possible, so I had to go to a 5 start spiral and some other number of teeth
on the pinion, the final error was mathematically calculated to 0.5%.
The numbers may be off or round the wrong way as this was all from memory,
but the principle stands. The only thing is the turns of the speedo (the
number at the bottom) per mile need to be the same from both cars or the
math gets much more complicated. Fitting the spiral to the gearbox meant
dropping the O/D unit off, but that is not so bad on a 2000 saloon.

Hope this helps
Graham.