Re: TR3A Running Hot

To: skip@shervington.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Running Hot
From: Bill McLeod <wbmcleod@theriver.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 17:29:19 -0700
skip@shervington.org wrote:

>My engine bay is changing color from BRG to a bright rusty orange!  She
>runs hot and I still can't tell where she's steaming from exactly.  Looks
>like it might be around the neck area.  Is there supposed to be smoke
>coming from the crankcase through the oil filler tube after a short spin
>around town?  Or is that just because she's running hot?  Temp gauge says
>190 most of the time, but in stop & go traffic it jumps to 210-220 then
>every now and then pegs at 230 and starts bleeding all over the street.
>Any suggestions on where to start?
>Skip Shervington
>'58 TR3A TS34885L
>Santa Cruz, CA (The cool ocean breeze helps a great deal!)

No. 1 RULE: fill only to the point where you can see the fluid in the
bottom of the square pipe under the  rad cap.  That leaves room for
expansion.  Get a new rad cap 7#. Go get a TR-6 fan (they fit). Use
water with rust inhibitor and water wetter (Red Line).  Make sure your
timing is not retarded..  Make sure you are not running too lean.  You
really should not have a problem in Santa Cruz, even with the heat wave.
(Lastly, go get a pusher fan at Pep Boys, but if you have checked the
rest, your block and rad probably need cleaned.)  Will your block drain
through the side petcock, or is it clogged up?  These are all lessons
from 40 odd years driving tr's in Phoenix (1959) to Tucson (now).  Oh
yeah, it will smoke there if hot....
Regards, Bill McLeod
Slightly Classics
Tucson, AZ