Fishing things out of gas tanks question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fishing things out of gas tanks question
From: "dwillner" <dwillner@icontech.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 08:28:13 -0400
Many years ago when my son was around 2 or 3 (he's 17 now) he watched me check
the fuel level in my car via the 3' dowel insertion down in the tank method,
since the guage at the time was faulty. And I guess he wanted to try it
himself to help me out. Well he took a small piece of oak kindling (12") from
the wood pile in the garage and it got away from him and it's been soaking
ever since at the bottom of the tank.

Has anyone had luck or have any experience on how to fish this out without
removing the tank?  I'm putting a new sending unit in and thought I'd try and
remove the stick somehow. TIA

Dave Willner
59 TR3A Apple Green
70 BSA 441 Victor Special