Re: Some TR3 questions

To: datesmanaric@netscape.net
Subject: Re: Some TR3 questions
From: Michael Thompson <miket@rio.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 15:24:03 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 02:24 PM, datesmanaric@netscape.net wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> About to take a nice long trip in the TR3 and have some TR3 questions
> for you....
>
> 1. Reset the point gap for the first time since getting the car last
> year.  Its now at the proper 0.015".  Was at 0.007.  Any thoughts as to
> what effect the smaller gap would have?  Can't just hop in and take it
> for a drive as its raining and the car's still up on the jack stands.
> Just curious what fixing the gap will do.
My Land Rover did the same thing until it stopped. The engine will first
cut out and miss then finally stop when you get to zero gap. It acts
like you are running out of gas.

> 2. Oil for the tranny- book says Castrol GTX.  Use 20W50 or something
> along the lines of 90W gear oil?  I remember something a while back
> about additives adversely effecting the synchro cups, but can't recall
> what the final determination was.
I have read but have no experience but "they" say the synchros have
problems getting a grip with synthetic oil.
I have used both straight 50 racing oil and 90W gear oil. Didn't see any
problems with either.

> 3. Oil for the differential- What to use?
Same as the tranny- 90W gear oil

> 4. Went looking in the toolbox for a socket to fit the head on the
> jack, but it seems to be a funny size.  Under 9/16", over 1/2", under
> 14mm, over 13mm.  What is it?  Guess I should go buy the proper
> handle....
I have the jack and handle, but I wouldn't use it. I use a hydraulic
jack.  I always thought it was a neat idea though to sit inside the car
and jack it up. Could it be a Whitworth size?

> 5. Replacing plug wires- Got a new set from one of the Big 3 and the
> new wires aren't the same.  Old ones (which I do not know to be proper)
> have soft rubber boots that have only a slight bend to them.  New ones
> are hard plastic and 90 degree.  Also, the new wire to the coil has a
> push on plug.  The old one is screw on (as is the coil, which I also do
> not know to be proper.  Silver case and reddish top with a female
> threaded hole for the wire to the dizzy).  Any thoughts as to which is
> right?  The box that came from the supplier was labelled for TR2/3,
> but....
Most of mine have had right angle boots.
Cheers,
Mike Thompson
http://home.rio.edu/miket/index.htm
59 Triumph TR3A