RE: Spitfire starter

To: "Kinderlehrer" <Kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire starter
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 18:56:57 -0700
> > Is this starter the same as my TR3? sounds like it from the description
> > "turned the bolt on the end with a wrench"

Not the same, but somewhat similar.  However, I would be most surprised if
this bushing will interchange, and Moss doesn't list one for the Spit.
149-400 won't even fit my earlier TR3A starter, but I was able to order a
suitable substitute from my local auto supply house, by matching dimensions.

> > If it is,  isn't it not so much a bearing,  as a bushing (Moss part
> > number149-400) which is basically a short piece of copper pipe?

Terminology question I guess, a bushing is a type of bearing.  It's not
copper pipe (although it does rather look like it) but rather a special form
of bronze (copper alloy) known as sintered bronze or Oilite (tm).

>  If this
> > wasn't installed properly by peening it, it really does tend to work
> itself
> > out pretty quickly, particularly if the end cap isn't on.

It shouldn't need peening, but be a light press fit, unless the end plate is
worn out.  Original ones were supposed to be soaked in oil before installing
(so the oil would penetrate the pores in the metal to form a 'permanent'
lubricant), although modern ones may, or may not be already oiled.

> call to BPNW
> is
> > certainly in order, but if that's the problem, it's a $1.95
> part and last
> > time I returned something to BPNW I had to pay shipping.  You may even
> find
> > it lying on the garage floor.  It will slide back in with a little
> wiggling
> > of the armiture end, just use some lock tite on it.

If it does slide back in, I would still have a talk with BPNW.  It should be
a light press fit.

Randall