RE: Spitfire starter

To: "danvon" <danvon@scripps.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire starter
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@ivwnet.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 20:03:37 -0500
I just recently had the *exact* same experience with a starter.  This was on
'66 mk2.  The starter was definitely bad.

I picked up a replacement (rebuilt Lucas) with a lifetime guarantee at
AutoZone.
They had it in stock on the shelf for ~$50.00

No more problems.

At least you didn't replace a perfectly good battery first (like I did)  I
swore it wasn't the starter.  I was wrong.

Good Luck,
Bill

As an aside;  The rear plate of the starter is held on with four small
screws.  If these are loose, it will allow the "guts" of the starter to
shift side to side and you will experience the same thing.  Might just check
those screws and see if they have worked their way out.