RE: A couple of things

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: A couple of things
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:45:05 -0700
> The A-type solenoid is a double-wound unit. It has a switch at
> the bottom of
> the shaft that turns off the high-current winding when the core is pulled
> home. That is why the activation shows a huge current at first
> followed by a
> steady one-amp draw. Re-winding that by hand would be "fun".

Speaking of which, does anyone have a dead A-type solenoid they'd like to
sell me cheap ?  I sometimes like to tilt at such windmills ...

In the US, that type of wire is known as "magnet wire", it's still available
from electronic supply houses and such, in a variety of sizes.  I'm not
sure, but the solenoid windings may also have been coated with lacquer to
hold them in place, in addition to the lacquer on the wire that served as
insulation.

For example, Mouser Electronics has several sizes of magnet wire listed at
http://www.mouser.com/
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/cat_609/139.pdf

Randall