Re: squeaking throwout bearing?

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: squeaking throwout bearing?
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nelson@buckeyetriumphs.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:12:48 -0400
Subject: squeaking throwout bearing?

| Hullo again, campers.  Mucho thanks for the last bit of help.  Still
| sorting out the GT6, growing comfortable driving it and therefore
| growing pickier about its quirks!
|
| I've noticed a squeak which I think is in the throwout bearing, a
| rapid high-frequency chirp.  It is loud enough to be audible in any
| gear (more or less) as well as neutral.  It is present when the
| clutch is fully engaged, but changes pitch or goes away completely
| when I depress the clutch pedal even just a little.  Depressing the
| clutch fully make it as quiet as a mouse.  It seems to change
| behavior as the engine warms, becoming quieter, I think.  My thinking
| tells me the source is the clutch fingers grazing the throwout
| bearing, that when I depress the pedal they come in constant contact
| and thus stop squeaking.  Or perhaps it is the bearing itself.
| Clutch and bearing are new.  All else behaves very well - clutch and
| gearbox are wonderful.
|
| So the question is, is there anything I can do about it?  Will it go
| away soon as the fingers and bearing surface smooth down with use?
| Or is an ominous sign of something sinister?
| Jim Muller
| jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
| '80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+

Jim,

Many people experience this problem when using the KOYO release bearing in
place of the standard RHP bearing in TR250s & TR6s.   The problem is
insufficent preload so the bearing is resting against the pressure plate
spring fingers but not turning..  Since the bearing isn't turning it is a
tool to wear away the spring fingers.  One I saw was over one third through
in 5 K miles. Two solutions for the TR250/TR6 case, more preload or pull the
bearing away from the spring fngers as is done in the TR3 & TR4.  More
preload increases the thrust bearing load slightly.  Pulling it away costs
clutch pedal margin and the squeal is still there everytime your press the
clutch.

I've found what seems to be a better quality German bearing/sleeve and
external preload spring I'm going to use next time.

There is more info and photos of damaged spring fingers on the Buckeye
Triumphs website. The link is to long to list here, it wraps around so go to
following link and scroll down to the note on Release Bearing Woes.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/

Nelson Riedel
Granville, Ohio
'68TR250, '76TR6, '70TR6 (project)