squeaking throwout bearing?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: squeaking throwout bearing?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:46:09 -0400
Hullo again, campers.  Mucho thanks for the last bit of help.  Still
sorting out the GT6, growing comfortable driving it and therefore
growing pickier about its quirks!

I've noticed a squeak which I think is in the throwout bearing, a
rapid high-frequency chirp.  It is loud enough to be audible in any
gear (more or less) as well as neutral.  It is present when the
clutch is fully engaged, but changes pitch or goes away completely
when I depress the clutch pedal even just a little.  Depressing the
clutch fully make it as quiet as a mouse.  It seems to change
behavior as the engine warms, becoming quieter, I think.  My thinking
tells me the source is the clutch fingers grazing the throwout
bearing, that when I depress the pedal they come in constant contact
and thus stop squeaking.  Or perhaps it is the bearing itself.
Clutch and bearing are new.  All else behaves very well - clutch and
gearbox are wonderful.

So the question is, is there anything I can do about it?  Will it go
away soon as the fingers and bearing surface smooth down with use?
Or is an ominous sign of something sinister?

Speaking of sinister, I remember reading years ago that the designed
life expectancy of the big Austin Healey was 10 years.  I'd say most
of our cars have beaten that!
--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com