Buying a TR6 - or a Herald 1200 Convertible?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Buying a TR6 - or a Herald 1200 Convertible?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 20:56:20 +0100
In article <uY2P0QCRG1r8EwFN@hargreave-mawson.demon.co.uk>, Michael
Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com> writes

>I'm looking for some advice.   At some point in the future (probably
>next winter), I'd like to buy a TR6.   I currently run a Spitfire 1500,
>which I love, but I'd like something a little less likely to disappear
>under an SUV at a roundabout as well.

<snip>

Thanks to all of you who replied privately to this posting.  Your
comments and advice are much appreciated.   I now know that it is not
worth importing a US-spec TR6 (as it barely outperforms the UK-spec
Spitfire), and that most of you agree with my wife that I'm mad to want
another two-seater, given that I have a family (the said wife, one son,
and one on the way).

This being the case, I have been reconsidering my options.

'Way back in the mists of time, when I was about three years old, I fell
in love with a car that belonged to a neighbour.   It was a white or
pale cream-coloured Herald 1200 Convertible, with red-and-cream interior
trim.  I thought it was the prettiest car I had ever seen, and vowed
that I would have one just like it - one day.   Well, maybe that day is
coming.   It fulfils my need for a convertible.   It would keep the
family happy.   It is basically a Spitfire with a bigger body and a
smaller engine, so I should be familiar with its mechanical and
electrical eccentricities.   It has a certain style.

Are there any Herald 1200 Convertible owners on the list who could give
me pointers to purchasing one of these?   What to look for (and what to
walk away from)?   There seems to be very little on the Web about this
particular model, and I want to make sure that I get the best possible
car that I can for my money.   Prices seem to be very much lower than
for the TR range, ranging from GBP1000 to GBP3500 - which is nice <g> -
so it could just be that I could afford a car in concourse condition,
which would be a nice change from my Spitfire (not to mention that ratty
old Saab parked next to it)...

On the other hand, I am a little nervous about a large family car with
only an 1147cc engine in it.   Can the Herald 1200 reach motorway
speeds, or is it forever doomed to pootle along with a little man and a
flag in front of it?   I don't need the World's Fastest Quarter Mile
time, or a top speed in excess of 75 mph, but crawling along at 35 is
not my idea of fun.   (On the gripping hand, my 1971 Sunbeam Stiletto
used to perform like a Formula One car whilst powered by an engine you
could have picked up with one hand...)

Is there a Heralds list @autox.team.net?

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"