Re: TR3 front suspension question

Subject: Re: TR3 front suspension question
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 07:08:26 -0800
suhring wrote:
> The rear securing bracket is another story.  I have the bushings
> (using rubber) halves in, the nylon/plastic thrust washers on both
> sides, and the steel sleeve over the bolt.

That's curious.  I thought the rubber variant (before TS9122 according
to Piggott) was all rubber, not rubber/nylon/steel ?  I've never used
rubber on the lower pivots, but given how fast the rubber goes away on
the (relatively) lightly loaded upper pivots, I can see why the factory
switched.

>  If I put the securing
> bracket on the outside of the chassis mount with the bend going
> in toward the wishbone, the hole that the bolt goes though is not
> flush with the thrust washer, thus the threaded end of the bolt
> barely comes through the hole of the bracket.  As I noted, if
> I reverse it and put it on the inside of the the chassis mount, it
> is a perfect fit and is flush with the washer.  Do I force the
> locking nut onto the threads and then tighten it so that it bends
> the bracket back flush to the washer?  Is there space between the
> bracket and the washer, allowing the wishbone to have some play
> on the bolt?

It is important that the bracket clamp down against the sleeve, as
otherwise the sleeve will work against the pin.  I can't say what the
problem is, but it makes me very nervous when front suspension parts
don't go back together as they should.  Perhaps you could find another
car in the area to make some measurements, and a visual comparison.

Randall