Re: Are we gaining or losing Triumphs?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Are we gaining or losing Triumphs?
From: Bill Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:40:57 -0800
Nice thread Noah,
        I personally know of one fully race prepared TR4, with slicks
and many, many spares now residing in a barn in Canada...I have tried
to get my good friend who owns it to restore it for vintage
racing...but...he is too busy making money.  I can only hope that
when he retires he will restore the car...that should relieve him of
any excess funds.
        As to driving pristine sidescreen cars, what a shame that the
concours winners are only driven on and off trailers, of course
Casper is by no means concours, in fact a melange of TR3 and TR3A
parts, he still gets lots of waves, oohs and ahhs, and is the choice
of drives (like TerriAnn's) in good weather.  Which here in N.
California is almost everyday...at least every week. We have
concentrated on making Casper as reliable as a 44 year old car can
be, but there are occasional problems.
        Upon returning from Triumphest we ran out of gas on Hiway
395, fortunately AAA+ got us back on the road in 30 minutes,
unfortunately I mentioned it unknowingly to another member of the
United British Sports Car Club of Sacramento, and I now am the holder
of the dreaded "Chicken"...awarded to Club members who break down and
require assistance to get going again. I argued that running out of
gas was not a break down, but lost the argument <G>

--
Bill Pugh
1957 TR-3