Re: lurker coming into the open

Subject: Re: lurker coming into the open
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:47:16 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
jack williams wrote:

> I've been lurking on the list for about a week now

Well, welcome to the list, Jack !

> Y'all (my Texas twang emerges) are the experts, what do you
> think?

Sorry, no comment.  I'm more of a TR3 person ...

> I have a set of carb sticks and a gunson colortune that I use on my
> many motorcycles, can I use them on this car?

I'm not sure what a carb stick is, but if you're talking about
manometers as are frequently used with motorcycle carbs, I'm afraid they
won't be much use on a TR6.  No venturi vacuum ports to connect them to
IMO synchronization on a TR isn't nearly as critical as many people
believe, it's easy to get 'close enough' by just listening to the hiss
at idle.  It really only affects idle smoothness anyway, and the TRs
have enough rotational inertia that they aren't real picky.

The Colortune should be fine.

> This car also has
> air conditioning, and I assume it uses R12.

Yes.

> Can it be converted to the new
> stuff?

I don't know of any reason why not, if you change the compressor oil and
flex lines.  However, you might want to check out
http://www.vettenet.org/acfaq.txt
(if it's still there, I can't check at the moment).  It gives a formula
for 'home brew' R12 substitute that is supposed to work even better than
R12 (which works better than R134a).  I haven't tried it yet, but I went
to school with the inventor (George Gobel), so I'm inclined to believe
what he says about it.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver
63 Sports 6 rustoration project