Re: Crud in the cooling system

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Crud in the cooling system
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:52:11 +0100
Many thanks to all of you who rushed to my aid with a variety of
ideas. Apart from Radflush  which is perhaps a fairly obvious choice,
I've had suggestions to use neat Coca Cola and vinegar - not mixed.
When I see what Coke can do to intestines and teeth  in an undiluted
form, it might do the Fergie a power of good from a cleaning
perspective.
Several contributors suggested taking out the block core plugs - and I
wish I could. The Ferguson doesn't have any - apart from the block
drain tap that is mounted towards the front and exhausts just behind
the dynamo.
In passing, I recently received an original sales leaflet and it
occurred to me that owners of wet-linered TR's might be amused with
the agricultural spec of the engine in contrast to their own:
Engine size: 2088cc
Compression: 4.8:1 - optimum performance gained from 50 octane fuel!
(You ought to see the depth of the combustion chambers - there's
enough room for a London bus in there!)
Fuel capacity: 8 Imp gallons - split 7 galls vapourising oil, I gallon
gasoline
Carburetter: One (very small) Zenith with purging tap fed from a
massive oil bath air cleaner
Exhaust: One U bend off the manifold - and straight up.
Power: 23.9 belt horsepower at 2000rpm
Max torque: unspecified but somewhere between 1000 and 1500 rpm.
Brakes: 14" x 2" rear drums operating together or independently -
depending on how the mood takes you!
Front track: Anywhere between 4'0" and 6'4"
Turning circle: 16 ft - hey smaller than a Spitfire!
Max speed: 7 amps or 60psi or 185deg F

Also came across an intriguing form of driver heating in the form of
leg-shaped tanks supplied from the cooling system! This *has* to be
THE daily driver next winter!

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 2.5PI
D 152189 1951 TED20
"Fools rush in - and grab all the best seats"