Crud in the cooling system

To: "triumph_cars" <triumph_cars@egroups.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crud in the cooling system
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 01:04:43 +0100
Can anyone recommend a suitable fluif (apart from a pint of liquid
Semtex) to dislodge coolant scale? Daisy (my TED20) has a substantial
build-up throughout the block. It took a hydraulic trolley jack and
the whole downward thrust of the tractor and front axle (the better
part of a ton!) to finally prise the cylinder head off one of the rear
studs without distorting or damaging eithher. Because of this, I know
the liners are now in place until the end of time. That's why I
haven't bothered to remove the engine for a strip down as wear to
pistons and sleeves is effectively nil and they're the original parts
anyway. It's clear that several DPO's have never bothered to use any
form of coolant conditioner and have used water with substantial lime
deposits in it that's now as hard as flint. The radiator is new, so no
probs there and I've been able to shift a lot of crud using a long bit
in my drill chuck with lots of reverse flushing and powerful suction
with an industrial vacuum.. The main problem area is furthest from the
water pump and around the back of number four - like it always is.
All proposals will be received with gratitude and studied with great
interest.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 2.5PI