A type O/D -- But Why?

Subject: A type O/D -- But Why?
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:43:37 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Just an observation and a question....
        A recent thread asked the question 'why did so few US delivered
lbc's have Overdrive?'
The consensus seemed to be that most USA drivers figured the Laycock unit
would be as problematic as the early Ford and Chevy units, and therefore to
be avoided.
        Lately, though, it seems like almost every OD equipped lbc has had
at least one of these:

                electrical/solenoid problems
                mechanical binding/overheating
                slippage
                release problems
                bronze slush in the oil
                drips, from minor to a torrent
                noises
                etc...
        Now I can understand the desirability of having a sensible RPM at
highway speeds, and the OD certainly meets that requirement.  But I'm no
stranger to tranny wrestling, and I suspect most of you aren't either.  And
you know how much fun 90W can be, as both a hair dressing and cologne
So then, I ask why nobody has tried one of the Toyota 5 speed conversions
the guy from New Zealand is selling?  It seems to me to be the most elegant
way to add that extra gear, and only the most dedicated members of the
Authenticity Police would even notice..... So, C'mon all you folks wearing
Eau d' Sulfur-  What gives?  ( My beater Toyo just passed 200k miles, and
the tranny is actually clean, and works perfectly....)
Thanks,
        Bob Westerdale
        59 TR3A TS36967