Re: High under-hood temperatures

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: High under-hood temperatures
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:26:12 -0600
Jerry wrote:

>While I am curious about the reason for it seeming to run hotter, the
>problem that has developed is excessive underhood temperatures in general.
>When I am stopped in traffic for more than just a few minutes I assume that
>I am overheating the gas in the carbs since I get a lot of stumbling when
>trying to accelerate to the point of total power loss. This occurs at about
>2000 to 3000 RPM and can last for awhile until the gas is cooled again by
>the movement of the car.
>
>Has anyone else experienced what I am experiencing?

I've had a couple problems recently with loss of power and then trouble
restarting, similar to the symptoms when my coil failed last February.
Dietmar mentioned similar trouble related to his coil/points. But these
symptoms are also similar to vapor lock, and this past weekend on a
visit to see Eric Conrad's near final TR6 restoration -- great job! -- he
came up with the diagnosis following.

Up till this point, except for some gack sucked into the carbs, all of my
fuel problems were indeed electrical problems as list wisdom says they
will be. But the last time I stalled out on my commute home, it really
looked like vapor lock. I didn't have any tools with me, but literally within
5 minutes a VTR member drove along and stopped. We confirmed
there was no fuel getting to the carbs, but after some cranking it started
-- and it looked to me like there were bubbles coming into the sediment
bowl. I snugged up the seal and went on my way.

Back to this weekend, when Eric commented on my fuel shutoff valve,
then noted that it seemed to be touching the oil filter housing. His guess
is that heat from the engine transmitted to the hose clamp touching the
housing is causing the fuel to boil prior to the fuel pump. Makes sense
to me.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO