'79 Spit shifter

To: "Scions of Lucas" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: '79 Spit shifter
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@megalink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:33:09 -0500
Cc: "Glenn Thornton" <gthor@gwi.net>
Scions-
    I am posting this for a friend of mine who is not on the list.
 He has a '79 Spitfire non overdrive that has had a history of not being able
to find reverse. When the shifter is lifted to select reverse, he can only get
4th gear. The problem seems to amplify as the stick seems to disengage from
the linkage entirely. If you push it back down it will re-engage and you can
find 1st through 4th again.
    So far he has had the shift lever replaced with a different used one. The
exact same problem occured. The mechanic that did the work says "there is a
pin that works its way in and needs to be tapped out". My friend has had this
"mechanic" fix the problem numerous times, every time the fix works for about
a day, then reverts to it's old ways again.
    I don't know a whole lot about Spitty's, but I get the feeling this
problem isn't as complicated as my friend's "mechanic" makes it out to be. I
am confident it can be fixed right. Has anyone BTDT? I welcome any input and
thanks in advance. I have cc'd my friend but reply to me as I will be doing
the fixing!
Tim Hutchisen
'71 TR6- undergoing major suspension surgery (now assembling)
'80 TR7 Spider-