Re: TR6 as a daily driver. Possible?

To: Yermom <yermom@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 as a daily driver. Possible?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:45:55 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Yermom wrote:

> I live in Philly, and I am just about to start my search for a TR6 to use as
> a daily driver during spring, summer and fall.  I am intending to work on it
> during the winter.  I had a 72 Spit back in the day, and I'd love to make
> this happen again.  I'm upgrading to the TR6 because it's larger.  So am I.
>
> Honestly, is possible?  Do many of you folks use your Triumphs for daily
> local excursions?  I sure hope so, because I have my heart set on getting
> one.

  Generally, it's possibly for some people, but not for
a lot of people.

  I know a few mostly sane people who use their british cars
as their only cars, but they are kind of "into the lifestyle"
of it... the cars demand a lot more attention than most
people are prepared to give, and you just have to accept
that it sometimes takes control of your schedule: THIS WEEKEND
YOU ARE DOING A TRANNY SWAP it might say.

  If the car is your pride and joy and you life the
lifestyle of just hanging out in the garage on the weekend
anyway though, it's not so bad.

  Most of the people who use British cars daily have at
least semi-regular access to another car, such as a
wife's car. Having a parts-getter is pretty much essential,
there are days when you just can't finish a job without
something, maybe even just a few litres of oil but it's
enough to strand you at home with no car to get anywhere.

  Another point is that the people who use their British
cars every day have a rather decent budget to run them. You
can't run them on a shoestring and depend on them, they
are mutually exclusive goals. To stay reliable requires
replacing parts when they are worn, not just when they
are actually broken. You have to stay ahead of the failures.

  If you really want to use a British Car everyday, I
recommend having at least two. It may sound like sarcasm
but I'm serious. British cars are generally pretty cheap,
at least to purchase. With some careful planning of
repair jobs you can always have one running, plus it
gives you some time off for the inevitable jobs that
can't be done in a weekend.

  Most listers seem to have two or more LBCs, it's kind
of a sickness but it's also practical.

  So getting back to the "not for all people" point of
who can run an LBC as their main car...

  Those that do don't do it because they can only afford
one car, running the one car as a main car is probably
as expensive or more expensive than running it for fun
and having an old Honda as a main car.

  It's a lifestyle. If you can give the car the kind of
constant attention normally reserved for a spouse, then
you can do it. If you like your evenings and weekends to
be under your control though, consider the Honda backup. ;>

  Personally, it's not for me. I have four LBCs at
the moment, so I likely could drive one every day for
a while. Then again, having four just really means the
TODO list piles up four times as fast.

  Maybe it's boring in some people's eyes, but it's
nice to have a car that just GETS YOU THERE, for that
day when you have an important meeting and you
are late and you just don't have time to pull over
by the side of the road to investigate that weird
knocking sound.

  If you want a convertible you can drive everyday,
consider a Miata. I know this can be a dirty word
around here, but really they are great cars and they
just feel so British it's creepy. My wife has one so
I get my fair share of seat time.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca