RE: Backyard visitors

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Backyard visitors
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:40:40 -0400
I debated whether this was appropriate for posting here, but under the
subject line above, I suppose it is.
        This past 4th of July, I fired up the Water Smoker ( big bbq kettle
with water tray) and made a huge pile of tasty ribs/pork shoulders/etc. for
the neighbors. Those familiar with this cooking technique know that you end
up with, as a byproduct, a large pan of water/garlic/onions/spices/and
plenty of pork fat after your done. During post BBQ cleanup, I decided this
sloppy mix of delicious smelling ( but inedible) stew would be a bit
hazardous to dump in the yard, so I dumped a few spackle buckets full of
sawdust into the garbage can, and poured this stuff on top, to make the for
more manageable disposal.  I live on the northern edge of NJ, where we have
the usual assortment of varmints and suicidal deer.  I was however, quite
surprised to be awakened at dawn to find an enormous Black Bear, head and
neck into the garbage can, eating the barbequed sawdust mix with wild
abandon.  He was nearly as big as my TR, and stayed until the can and
surrounding driveway were licked clean.  I shudder to think how his belly
felt the next day, he likely experienced a new form of 'intestinal
fortitude'...
( to appease the 'list police', this message did in fact have LBC content.
Large Bear Comedy)
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967

--Previously....
I wouldn't have been suprised if Steve had showed up - they say we have
'gators
in the Arkansas River!

> Maybe the cougar was following the cockatiel.

Naw, the bird would only have been an appetizer! :)  Of course, walking the
dog
after dark takes on a whole different meaning now.