RE: K&Ns for TR-4A w/ SU HS6s

To: "'Darrell Walker'" <darrellw@inetarena.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: K&Ns for TR-4A w/ SU HS6s
From: Ed Quinn <equinn@airtreatment.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:38:50 -0700
Being in the aerodynamic field - sort of, commercial HVAC and ventilating
equipment (fluid dynamics) here is my opinion.
Larger surface area of filters results in lower velocities through the
filters.
Velocity pressure(inches water gauge) x K factor = pressure drop (in w.g.)
(where K is specific for type of filter media)  We have to assume most car
filters use the same/similar media.  Regardless, if it is the same
manufacturer and model except different size/depth, assume same media.
Where Velocity pressure = ((CFM/area)/4005)^2
Higher pressure drop = reduction in hp due to increased resistance to draw
air therefore less air, possibly more fuel, less efficient.
There is more, but we don't need it unless you are really interested.  We
could machine the carbs for better airflow etc and even put air horns/inlet
bells(in theory not a bad idea as they reduce the K factor of the 90 deg
edge intake of the carb from 0.5 to 0.06).
Sorry to those who use Q as the factor or metric units.

Bottom line:
Larger surface area = better, as long as you don't have to cut fenders to
put them in.

Ed