RE: Spinning lug answers

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spinning lug answers
From: "Evans, Mark" <Mark.Evans@Anheuser-Busch.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:00:03 -0500
Thanks for all the responses to the TR4A spinning lug questions.

Solutions and observations offered:

1.) Don't weld it. It will weaken the lug and cause potentially dangerous
failure under load.
2.) If using J-B weld, make sure it is not present between the head of the lug
and the hub. It should only be used in the splined area.
3.) A Helicoil won't work on a TR4A. The lug is not threaded it is splined or
reeded and pressed in.
4.) The peening loctite method has worked for many others.

I'm going to temporarily use the peening/loctite method while I find a used hub.
I've put less than 100 miles on the car this year. I'll check the lug nuts
before I drive. I'm still shaking the car out mechanically and this is another
one of those things I 'shook out'.

Maybe it will be a daily driver one of these years.

Mark A. Evans
Systems Engineer
Cartersville Brewery Information Systems
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.

> *   mark.evans@anheuser-busch.com
* (770) 606-3054