Broken ball joint at 70 mph - 64 TR4

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Broken ball joint at 70 mph - 64 TR4
From: "Paul Willoughby" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:22:21 -0700
Today has been a lucky day for me.  First, I got to go to the L.A. Roadster
show in Pomona.  I caravaned with 10 T-buckets.  My 64 TR4 was the support
vehicle.  Lots of nice cars at the show!

Then, on the way home, I hit a big roller coaster type bump on the South 57
Fwy.  You know the type, you go way up and then you go way down - it gets you
right in the stomach.

Well, when it came down, something broke in the front end.  It looks like
either the lower ball joint or the spindle where it connects.  The car was
fairly easy to control since the tie rod was still connected.  The entire
front left of the car just "sat down" on the tire.  I didn't hit anybody.
Nobody hit me.  Just horsed it to the side of the road.  Light traffic.

Now the luckiest part, I get to rebuild the front suspension (which I now
recommend for all 40 year old cars).  Also, due to the tire rubbing on the
inside of the fender causing a huge burnt blister, I get to finally repaint
the car.

Anyone have any recommendations on front end parts?  Any pitfalls to watch out
for or special tricks that you would care to share.  And are the ball joints
called "trunions"?

TIA

Paul W.  --  Alive and looking on the bright side of things.