Re: TR3 V8 Conversion

To: greenman62@hotmail.com, pethier@isd.net, paulwillou@socal.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 V8 Conversion
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:27:22 EDT
In a message dated 6/14/2001 8:53:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
greenman62@hotmail.com writes:

>   I'm afraid I'm gonna sound like an old fart here, But don't forget;
>   with all that "GO" you're gonna have to consider "STOP" at some
>   point... either by upgrading the brake system prior to hitting the
>   road or by hitting the the first large solid object that won't get

Greg,

No, I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. No brake improvements are required
to account for the extra power. If the brakes are adequate to stop the car
from all reasonable speeds now, they will be adequate to stop the car from
all reasonable speeds with the V8 installed. If the brakes are not adequate
now, then I have no business driving it as it is. The braking force required
to stop a car depends on only two things - weight and speed. The car won't
weigh more, and it will not be going any faster. Just because the car will be
capable of higher speeds doesn't mean it will be driven at higher speeds. The
stock TR6 is good for 100 mph - I can assure you, I won't be driving the V8
conversion at speeds in excess of 100mph, just because I can. At least not on
public streets. The only time I'll ever exceed 100 mph will be on a
controlled course, with room for error.

I can also assure you that I won't be driving it at ANY speed under
conditions where I don't have room to stop safely. That includes 25 mph in
residential areas - 15 mph in school zones. It takes no more braking force to
stop a car with three gadzillion hp from 25 mph than it does to stop a car
with only 7.03 hp from the same speed.

Nevertheless, I will be improving the brakes - necessary or not.

Cheers,

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm