Re: TR3 V8 Conversion

To: "Randall" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, "Paul Willoughby" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 V8 Conversion
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:25:27 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> There's a local club member (whose name escapes me) that has a TR8 motor
> (aluminum V8) in his TR3 ... I suppose you could count that as a Chevy
> small block, since GM did the original design back in the 60s before
> selling it to Leyland/Rover.  However, it was only used by the Buick,
> Olds and Pontiac divisions, I don't believe it was ever in a Chevy.
> Rover is still building the descendant of that motor, you see a lot of
> them here in Discoveries.

Randall, might that club member be Julian Burns?  If anyone wants to
reference the car, it can be seen in the October / November 1999 issue of
Triumph World.  The car has a 3.5L V8 from a TR8 (Rover SD1, 3500, Range
Rovers, also same as early 60s GM 215 V8s).  Modifications needed (from
quick glance at the text) were a swap to rack and pinion steering (as
Randall mentioned) and moving the bulkhead (firewall) back two extra inches.
Overall from the photos it is a very neat installation... still think a
tweaked out Triumph four cylinder is much cooler.

I wonder when Dan Masters is going to chime in and note that the Ford 302 is
actually dimensionally smaller and lighter (depending on config) than the
BOPR 215 :-)

Kai