Overdrive Gear switching

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive Gear switching
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:28:10 -0700 (PDT)
Some people have said they don't have much use for the other OD ratios except
the top gear. . . .

Personally I can't diagree more.
But that is probably a result of driving style, and possibly engine tune.

IMHO  there is quite a large gap between 2nd and 3rd.

2OD fits the bill quite nicely in several scenarios.

Ever been plodding through a neighborhood or side street at low speed and 2nd
is too low, but 3rd is too high?   2OD is perfect!

Then again maybe my "high performance" cam (PO-install) is making me less
torquey in the low RPMs.

Also
When I'm going for max acceleration . . . 2-2od-3-3od-4od.

Yep . . skip 4th.

3OD and 4th are almost identical.
(thus the arguement again that 3rd is too tall)

If you aren't on the interstate,  cruising in 3OD is really fun cause you can
downshift REALL QUICK to pass people, or to keep them from passing you.

Personally . . . I always do the OD shift with at least a little throttle on.
I don't like the way it feels if you are engine braking and switch out of OD.
I've been told by a reputable Tranny and OD rebuilder that it won't hurt it
though.

I also don't hesitate to engage it at full throttle either.
The A type OD is a sturdy unit.

The OD is best utilized if you drive in the upper part of the RPM range.
All the gears space out more and more as RPM increases, so those overdrive
"half steps" are much bigger at 4-5K RPM.

I once heard a couple guys comparing their ODs, once said "I like mine, it
makes a big difference.  It drops my RPMs down by 800 on the highway."

The other guy said he was crazy. . . "mine only drops by 500.  It isn't that
big a difference."

Neither was wrong.
The first guy was a speed demon and had his tach at 4000 rpm (80 mph) in 4th.
When he engaged 4OD, he dropped to 3200rpm.

The second guy was a cruiser and drove at 55 = 2750rpm  in 4th.  His revs in
4th OD were 2200.

There's my 2cents.

Scott Tilton
Leesburg VA