RE: Overdrive

To: sanborn@net1plus.com, jfowler@mail.southeast.cc.nc.us, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Overdrive
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:50:47 FILETIME=[84E68EB0:01C0F27D]
>From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
>To: "James Fowler" <jfowler@mail.southeast.cc.nc.us>,
><triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: RE: Overdrive
>Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:02:50 -0400
>
>James,
>
>I only have a couple of months of driving on my new OD and I really love
>it.
>It transforms the car.  Here are my comments.
>
> >Questions:
> >    1.  When should I engage & disengage the overdrive?
>
>You can treat your OD just like 5th gear on a modern 5-speed car.  So when
>you
>are accelerating up through the gears and you get to 60-65... and you would
>normally look for a higher gear... just flip the switch.  I engage the OD
>when
>the engine RPM is around 3000 RPM and I am in cruise mode.  I have not
>found a
>use for the 2nd and 3rd OD modes other than you can stay in OD mode even
>when
>you have to slow to accommodate slower traffic momentarily.
> >
> >    2.  Can I engage it while accelerating or decelerating?
>
>The A-Type is strong enough to be engaged at any time.  The thing to watch
>out
>for is disengaging into an over-rev situation on the engine
> >
> >    3.  When engaging should it change smoothly or with a "lurch"?
>
>I treat the shift into and out OD mode like any other gear change and use a
>little bit of clutch just like the change from 3rd to 4th.  I am getting
>use
>to it now and find the shifting sequence easy and natural.
>
>Brian Sanborn
>62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

   I've used my OD for extra gears. I think "1, 2, 2a, 3, 3a, 4, and 4a.
   I hardly ever use 2a, and 3a, except when I need a few more RPMs,
   like when autocrossing. I just switch it on and off and rarely use
   the clutch... `Probably not the best thing to do for and OD, but it's
   worked ok for about 10 years, now.

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)