RE: Overdrive

To: "James Fowler" <jfowler@mail.southeast.cc.nc.us>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Overdrive
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:02:50 -0400
James,

I only have a couple of months of driving on my new OD and I really love it.
It transforms the car.  Here are my comments.

>Questions:
>    1.  When should I engage & disengage the overdrive?

You can treat your OD just like 5th gear on a modern 5-speed car.  So when you
are accelerating up through the gears and you get to 60-65... and you would
normally look for a higher gear... just flip the switch.  I engage the OD when
the engine RPM is around 3000 RPM and I am in cruise mode.  I have not found a
use for the 2nd and 3rd OD modes other than you can stay in OD mode even when
you have to slow to accommodate slower traffic momentarily.

>    2.  Can I engage it while accelerating or decelerating?

The A-Type is strong enough to be engaged at any time.  The thing to watch out
for is disengaging into an over-rev situation on the engine

>    3.  When engaging should it change smoothly or with a "lurch"?

I treat the shift into and out OD mode like any other gear change and use a
little bit of clutch just like the change from 3rd to 4th.  I am getting use
to it now and find the shifting sequence easy and natural.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn