Triumphs Overseas te.net>

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumphs Overseas te.net>
From: Jeffrey Barteet <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:07:21 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, Folks,

saw some posts about Heralds in Vietnam and thought I'd toss this in:

I have a friend who spends time in SE Asia, and he sent me an email
saying, "Hey, I saw a car like yours in Laos!"

"You saw a TR4 in Laos? Doesn't seem like a very practical car for
those parts, seeing how they aren't very practical here." I said.

So he sends me this picture http://www.barteet.com/surrey/herald.gif

It's a Triumph anyway.......

Does anyone know if Standard Triumph made cars in India?

I have been told that the motors that power our cars are also kin, if not
identical, to a lot of stationary agriculture pump motors and what not
used in India.

It seems a few of the parts for our cars are now made in India unless you
pay a premium for the UK stuff.  Is this because they're still using
Triumphs over there, or just a cheap place to manufacture the parts?

I was in Italy last fall and saw only two Triumphs in 3 weeks.

The first was causing a traffic jam on the Amalfi Coast road.  My heart
sank when I saw the cause of the problem was a stopped Triumph until I saw
that the little Spitfire had an elaborate camera mount on the drivers
side.  It was being used in a movie!

Then in Rome, as we neared a church having a wedding, I saw what appeared
to be a Baby Rolls parked out front to be used for transport of the
newlyweds. When I got close I was stunned to find the Triumph
globe logo on it. It's a Town & Country/Renown saloon I *think*.

http://www.barteet.com/surrey/renown.jpg

It has suicide doors, so I don't believe it's a Mayflower.  Classy little
devil, don't you think?

-jeffrey