RE: Blown manifold gasket

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Blown manifold gasket
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:31:17 -0700
MPRICE wrote :

> Apparently blowing the manifold gasket out on the intake side of
> a cylinder due to a backfire
>
> 1. Is there anything else I can do to prevent this in the future?

Find and fix the cause of the backfire !

The gasket's a lot cheaper than throttle shafts, carb bodies, manifolds,
etc.

Make sure your manifold flanges are flat and not distorted, and the manifold
doesn't foul on anything.  If your car has the intake bolted to the exhaust
like a TR3 does, it might be worthwhile loosening those nuts.  I leave mine
off entirely, and I've never had a manifold gasket leak that wasn't caused
by something obvious, like the exhaust flange catching on the edge of the
block.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver