Re: Speedometer - Any Thoughts?

To: Stephen Peca <sppchicago@excite.com>
Subject: Re: Speedometer - Any Thoughts?
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:12:53 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Stephen,

I would start at the transmission. Disconnect the cable from the speedometer
drive. If you are not sure if the speedometer drive is turning then carefully
jack up the rear so you can start the engine put it in gear and view the drive
see if it is turning. If it is turning, insure that the cable is inserted into
the drive before tightening. Sometimes, due to all the grit, dirt etc. one does
not insure the end of the cable has fully engaged the drive and does not fully
tighten the cable. The threads are fine, and must be absolutely clean in order
tighten correctly. Remember to use plenty of light so you can see what you are
doing. And be careful running the car with the rear jacked up.

I have never had a speedometer gear fail but I have failed to tighten the cable
correctly.

Good Luck,

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A