Re: Alternatives to urethane paint?

To: <hansenc@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to urethane paint?
From: "Alan Storey" <astorey@berry.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:29:15 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Cliff,

I used acrylic enamel on my frame, and you could also use laquer, but neither
is as durable as urethane or as easy to use.  If you make a mistake such as a
run, I understand that urethane is much easier to fix.  What type of primer did
you use?  You should stick with the same brand and check the information
sheets, but I believe epoxy primer will work fine with most any topcoats made
by the same company.  Why can't your paint booth use urethane?  If it is the
breathing equipment you should know that the same isocyanate that make urethane
paint so dangerous are also present in acrylic enamel and laquer that have
hardeners in them (I think almost all modern one do).  I bought a fresh air
breathing system before I did any painting because these iso's are really
dangerous.  The little I know about painting (all I done is the frame) I
learned from the discussion board at www.autobody.com.  That would be a great
place to ask your question because there are some very knowledgeable pros
there.  I hope this helps!

Alan

I also discovered that the paint booth that I can use does not have the
proper equipment to handle urethane paints.  The epoxy primer I used on the
frame was OK for their system.  I haven't started on the body, so I can use
a different primer if needed.  What are reasonable alternatives to
urethane?  I know very little about automotive paint.

Thanks.

Cliff Hansen