Re: The Would-Be Do-It-Yourself Welder

To: rhansen@att.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Would-Be Do-It-Yourself Welder
From: Lftlesl@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:49:43 EST
In a message dated 3/22/2001 5:18:50 AM Central Standard Time,
rhansen@att.com writes:

<< So, how does one learn this fine yet dangerous art? Could anyone recommend
 book or something that goes through the basics of welding, especially how to
 select and buy welding apparatus suitable for the job(s) I'd want to do on
 these, my beloved, cars? >>
Red and list-

After talking to a number of welders and shop teachers, I decided to learn
welding, and that oxyacetylene was the desired approach. Others will
disagree. I did not want to add a 220 line, which would have been necessary
for a really good welder, and I like the portability of gas welding.

My first welder was one of the $40 oxygen and MAPP gas kits from Lowes. It
was adequate for a first learning experience -- enough to know that I wanted
to proceed further -- but clearly not up to the work required on a
restoration.

I just bought the outfit you mentioned in your post, and will go to a welding
supply house to get the tanks filled next week. While I am not ready by any
means to tackle work on the car, I am learning the process and having a lot
of fun.

I ordered Eastwood's welding video, and it is very helpful. I also went to
the library and checked out a welding shop textbook, photocopied it and put
it in a loose-leaf binder. At the local Lowes, there is a Haynes manual for
welding that is also a good reference guide.

The books are helping me go through a step-by-step self taught course. The
Eastwood video pretty much tracks the textbook I have. It is very helpful to
actually see what they mean by neutral flame, carburizing flame and oxydizing
flame rather than rely on the diagrams in the book.

I figure that in a few more months I should be competent to start welding on
my car.

Hope this helps. I think the best advice I can give is to talk to your local
high school welding shop teacher, the people at your welding supply store,
folks at your favorite body shop, and get the type of reference books I have.

By the way, welding is an awful lot of fun, and there is a beauty to the flow
of molten metal. But play safe!

Les Landon
1962 TR3B TCF644L
Baton Rouge