Re: Insurance Question (long, part 1)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Insurance Question (long, part 1)
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:19:20 EST
Listers,

Rather than batting around the issue of insurance amongst ourselves, we would
do well to talk to an insurance agent who knows car insurance and whom we can
trust, or an attorney with the same qualifications. If you check the laws
governing insurance in your state, I'm sure you'll be surprised at what you
find. The insurance companies have a LOT more clout with the lawmakers than
we do.

A few years ago, I was involved in an accident with someone who was insured
by a very third rate company. His insurance agent authorized me to have
repairs made to my car, but when it came time to pay the bill, the company
refused to pay all that the agent had authorized. They finally paid up, but
only because my attorney convinced them that I would indeed pursue the matter
through the courts, and it would cost them more to defend their case than to
pay me.

My attorney explained to me what the law really said in Tennessee, and it was
an eye opener. The laws will be different from state to state, but are
probably very similar.

Bottom line? Pay no attention to what the folks on this list say about
insurance, check it out for yourself before it costs you big time. No
disrespect meant, but some of the folks on this list know what they are
talking about re insurance, and some of them don't. Don't wait until you have
a claim to learn which ones are which.

In parts two and three of this post, I am posting some info that appeared on
the AMGBA website awhile back. The information is too long for one post, but
it is worth reading. I make no claims for the validity of the info, but it
should be enough to make you want to learn for yourself what the law actually
says in your state.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm