High idle (1970 TR6)

To: "INTERNET:CC50506@aol.com" <CC50506@aol.com>
Subject: High idle (1970 TR6)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 20:31:40 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:CC50506@aol.com
>I just rebuilt the carbs on my 1970 TR6 (stock strombergs with "fixed"
needles).  They were really crudded up  - most of the internal passages
completely blocked with grunge.

It started fine when the carbs were refited BUT (there's always a but!) I
can't get the idle below 2700 rpm, even with the linkage disconnected and
the
idle screws backed all the way out.

What could I have done wrong here?
<

Sounds like the over-run bypass valves are stuck open.  These are the
little diaphram operated valves on the side of the carb body next to the
throttle shaft. As a test you can pull them off, cut blank-off gaskets
(with no holes except the screw holes) and reinstall them.  These will
block off the ports leaving them inoperable.  Do one at a time and you will
likely find that only one is the problem.

Good luck

Dave