Re: STC Title number information

To: "Triumph Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STC Title number information
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:23:22 -0500 (EST)
Brad,
The STC number was the method that US dealers used to get around the Triumph
practice of using the
calendar year as the basis of the model.  (A car
made on Dec 31, 1965 is a 65 model while the one made on Jan 1, 1966 is a
1966 model).

Since it was difficult to convince buyers that they were not getting last
year's model the scheme
was developed to match the model to the US model
year.  In reality, most (if not all) STC 65 cars are actually 1964 models
according to the records
of the BMIHT.

Some say that STC 65 means "sold to customer as a 65 model.

Regards,
Joe Curry

Brad Eells wrote:

> During the recent TR4 vs. TR4A string the STC number was brought up twice.
>
> My 65 TR4A was brought into the US in San Francisco and I am guessing was
> originally titled in California. The car had a prefix of STC65 then the
> complete commission number when I acquired it in Idaho in 1982.
>
> I was later told this STC code was a way to identify the manufacturer on
the
> title. I assumed that STC stood for 'Standard Triumph Company' and '65'
for
> the year of  manufacture.
>
> I later found plates on various junk yard cars attached to the right side
of
> the firewall, opposite of the commission plate that had stamped on them:
>
> Standard - Triumph
>
> STC 65
>
> My car did not have one of these plates when I acquired it. I attached one
> of the plates I scrounged at the junk yard. The most interesting thing of
> all is when I moved the car back to California. The state patrol inspector
> would not accept the STC number as valid because it was not on the
> commission plate. The car is now titled in California with the Commission
> Number only! Go Figure...
>
> Any ideas on the real story with the STC number???
>
> Brad
> 65 TR4A
>
> <<They (DMV or maybe CHP) may _build_ this number for the car
> using the 24422 CT body number and adding the rest, STC for Supplemental
> Title Certificate, 63 for the year, and the number from the body tag.  An
> STC is often built or assigned when the original VIN plate is in
question.>>