RE: DOT 5 Bad for Boosters?

To: "TR6 List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: DOT 5 Bad for Boosters?
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:18:08 -0700

Martin,

I would ask him/her why. There is no brake fluid in a booster. The brake
fluid is confined to the brake master cylinder, brake lines and slave
cylinders and/or calipers (oh and the PDWA assembly on some TRs). If you
have a brake fluid leak into the booster from the master cylinder, it's not
the fault of the booster or the fluid. You should fix the leak in the master
cylinder since that is most likely the root of the problem. The master
cylinder should not leak fluid!!!

There will undoubtedly be several listers who will attest to the fact that
dot 5 is perfectly fine in a TR if introduced into the system correctly. And
I'll let them explain what that entails. I use dot 4 and thus have no
personal experience. But to categorically state that dot 5 fluid "disagrees"
with brake boosters is a statement which would make me ask questions about
the ability of the person who made it (especially if they were claiming to
be a mechanic).

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO