Re: TR4: intermittent stuttering, carbs or fuel pump?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4: intermittent stuttering, carbs or fuel pump?
From: "Triumph Driver" <triumph_driver@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:18:45 -0800 FILETIME=[41F380E0:01C0AB29]
I have had a 'stutter' on acceleration and cornering also.  But only
sometimes.  Then I looked at the cornering a little closer, and decided I
was only 'stuttering' in the corner when I was also on the gas in the
corner.  But then I looked at the fact that at high RPMs, but not
accelerating, the 'stutter was not there.  This lead me to believe the fuel
pump and fuel delivery system was working OK, as at high RPM I should be
drawing more fuel for longer than under acceleration.  So I looked at the
spark as the next point.

Upshot of it was, I had a worn points plate.  Under max vacume advance
(while accelerating) the worn plate was allowing the points to move away
from the ditributor shaft and points cam, thus loosing spark.  But this
showed up only under hard acceleration.  Could this fit your situation?

Wow, this post was an illiterate mess.  Never reply to the list while
wolfing down lunch between phone calls...lol.

Darrell, in the High Desert of California

62  TR-4  CT 5368 LO  (daily driver)
62  TR-4  CT 10440 L
62  TR-4  CT 13108 L  (long term project)
65  Spit  FC 51603 L
67  Spit  FD 2890 L   (daughters car)
77  Spit  FM 62888 UC  (other daily driver)
79  Spit  FM 98233 UC  (wifes car)