TR4: intermittent stuttering, carbs or fuel pump?

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4: intermittent stuttering, carbs or fuel pump?
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:34:42 -0700
In the last couple weeks, my '62 TR4 has 'stuttered' ocassionally in hard
acceleration and cornering, and sometimes on neither. I assumed my carbs are
catching some crud, and have the kits for a rebuild on the workbench. I cleaned
the sediment bowl -- again -- and seem to have a good seal there.

But after just replacing the fuel pump on the old Range Rover, the symptoms
seemed familiar; the RR would falter at lights, and on the final day, would
struggle and lose power. Could my TR4 symptoms -- intermittent stuttering,
usually when stomping on it -- be consistent with a fuel pump problem, or should
I stick with the carb rebuild?

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO