A little more about my car and me

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: A little more about my car and me
From: Steve M <slavik944@metconnect.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2001 20:14:45 -0800
Thanks all, for the kind words of welcome.  Something I must warn everyone
about myself is I have a tendency to get long winded of I am encouraged
enough...or have a captive audience.

Anyway, here is a little story about what made me decide to get this TR-6.

When I was younger I vaguely remember a british racing green TR-6 with the
Union Jack on the rear fenders (wings?) outside of the building I used to live
in.  I must have about around 8 years old and remember the car already having
some serious rust at the time.  Funny thing I seem to have a penchant for old
sports cars that had a reputation for rusting and being difficult to maintain
(i.e. my 914 and now the TR-6).  Thing is once you get to know the 914 it's not
difficult to maintain at all.  I'm sure that the 6 will prove to be the same,
just a little attention once in a while.  Kinda like my 'teener', once in a
while just take a look under the hood to see that everything is where it's
supposed to be.

Anyway, fast forward to this past summer.  I'm on the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn
in my 914 coming back from something or other on Long Island and a yellow TR-6
goes flying by in the opposite direction.  The sound of the engine was
something I couldnt get out of my head.  I didnt know it was a straight 6 until
I did some investigation on the internet.  My flat 4 doesnt sound nearly as
soulful as that straight 6 that rumbled past me.
What also got me was that I could have one that was a 1973 (I'm 27, do that
math ;-), btw my 914 is a '73 not a bad year to be born).
I got to thinking about a Miata (can I say that here?) I test drove once, it
was a nice car.  But nice in the sense that there was too much marketing behind
it.  It was too perfect, the engine sound was a nice little 4 cylinder the
shifter was short and crips.  But everything was too perfect.  I wanted
something that spoke to me.  My teener does it because I can get into the guts
and pull out whatever ails it.  When I drive it I can feel the engine behind
me, roaring. If I listen carefully I can hear the valves chattering and the
combustion taking place a given on an aircooled engine.  I am counting the days
to when I can turn over my TR-6 and hear a deep throaty rumble from an english
straight 6.  Not muffled by 'specially tuned exhaust systems designed for the
demographics of the buyer'.  In a word, Character.

So I scoured the net and found one in Texas a few months back, its home will be
New Mexico where my mom is and the rest is history in the making.

On a closing note, I'd like to ask the list what books/manuals should I spend
my money on?

Thanks,
Steve M