RE: OD hanging in OD?

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: OD hanging in OD?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:25:35 -0800
Darrel :

I'm not familiar with the Spit OD (D-type ?), but something similar to what
you describe is not uncommon with the A-type.  The vertical shaft that forms
the operating valve has a very small hole in the side near the bottom, where
the oil runs from the pistons back into the sump when the valve is released.
If that hole gets clogged, or the operating ball does not seal to the seat
in the housing, the OD may become slow to disengage, or even stay engaged.
In extreme cases, the OD will engage itself.

You should attend to this promptly, as driving with the OD partly engaged
will wear the clutches out, and backing up with it engaged gets expen$ive
very fast.

Randall