Brake Bleeding

Subject: Brake Bleeding
From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 18:14:22 -0500
Cc: "John Krause (home)" <jktr250@aol.com>, Bob Krivenko <krivenkb@pa.net>
Well, I'm totally frustrated after today's effort to install my
newly rebuilt calipers. Finished up the calipers last week and was
really please with the outcome. Took about one hour to install
both, which went well despite needing to do some minor pipe bending
to get all links to fit.

Wife helped with brake bleeding, getting good pressure from all
four brakes. Sent her home and after cleaning up started
the 6 up and went to hit the brakes and they were mush. Needless
to say, I called Cindy back to the garage (with some lunch). An
hour later I was at it again. This time used the Miti-Vac, but
couldn't get good seals to create enough pressure (never like this
for bleeding brakes) so went bake to the traditional method.

Completed the following steps:

1.      Started in right rear brake. Hose from bleed nipple goes
into pickle jar with lid/hole for hose.

2.      Have 2" of fluid in jar with end of hose submerged. Have
wife compress brake while I open the bleed nipple. Have her press
brake 3-4 times until I only see fluid with no air bubbles. She
holds down brake while I close bleed nipple.

3.      Check reservoir and top of with clean fluid.

4.      Repeat above process on other three brakes, moving from
farthest to nearest to brake master cylinder.

Followed this process twice with the same results. Good compression
with car off but when I start up the car there back to being too
soft for my comfort level and certainly softer than they were
before I started this project.

Am I just being too impatient and need to take more time with the
bleeding process for each brake?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA