re: ARRRRGGGHHHH! Lucas strikes again! and others...

To: herald1200@home.com
Subject: re: ARRRRGGGHHHH! Lucas strikes again! and others...
From: "Roger Colson" <sassamon@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:21:46 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hello Scott,

Last year I had a similar problem with my TR3.

The 3 would start and run but after about 3 or 4 miles the engine
would begin to run very rough with no power.

We found the points had closed and could not be properly gaped.
Replaced the points and the same thing happened.  Unfortunately
on the way to the car show.

 Both of these points were the modern Lucas points with the red
plastic spacer block.  My friend quickly went to his house and
pulled an old set of points off his Ginetta and brought them to my
stranded TR3.  Quickly assembled and gaped we continued to the
show.

This set of points were made with the phenolic spacer block.

The TR3 was traveling quite smoothly for the first time and I was
enjoying the first long ride.   We arrived at the show site and turn
into the entrance and the engine dies.  Could not get it to start.  So
with some help the TR3 arrives at it's first show.

Diagnosis.   Because three point sets were eaten in quick
succession we looked at the coil.  The coil was a Japanese no
name aftermarket coil.  Replaced the coil with an Intermotor coil
from Michael Ferguson's boot spare collection.  Thank's again
Michael.

With the new coil I was able to drive the TR3 the rest of the season
with no more points problems.

The problem was the Japanese coil was designed to run with a
ballast resistor.  With out the ballast resistor the amount of current
flowing through the points was enough to heat up the metal and
melt the plastic enough to cause the points to close.

For your Herald, check your coil to make sure that it is the correct
type.

Good luck and have fun,

Roger

Roger Colson