Re: Newbie

To: Dale Neidhammer <dneid@siliconmetrics.com>
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: "Martin A. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:57:46 -0500
Dale:

I've owned both.  While I loved my Spitfire for its handling, I'm a bit of a
torque-lover, so I
eventually sold it.  But the Spit (like the GT6) might be easiest car in the
world to work on, given
the engine bay access.  It's just a bit difficult to get much power out of it;
to wit, all the
Spitfire engine conversions.  I also do love the charm of the Mk 1 and 2, and
these are quick little
cars.

Having said that, if you really tear apart a 1500, replacing the pistons w/TR6,
warm up the cam,
lighten the flywheel, add Webers and FF exhaust, and alloy wheels, you can the
get the car to squeal
a bit like a pig.  And you'll likely lose a regular TR6 on a windy road.

As per the TR6, I prefer the '71-73 years, for reasons of styling and engine
performance.  Beginning
in '74, the car acquires bumper overriders and progressively worse smogging.
As per parts, almost
everything is available for both the Spit and TR6.  For FAQ's on both cars,
visit ...
http://www.vtr.org