sudden death

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: sudden death
From: Charlie Frazer <cfrazer@ballmer.uoregon.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:49:49 -0800
The weather's turned nice and the TR6 is running great.
I take it out to do a few errands.
Just after starting up on the way home, I notice some hesitation as I drive
across the parking lot.  Is it still cold?
As I pull away from a stop sign I notice a new and unfamiliar hesitation.
In the next few block the car begins to run extremely ragged and my goal is
simply to get home and figure out the problem.
In the next few blocks the car dies when RPMs get low, ie, at stop lights.
I try to keep the revs up by inching the choke out a bit.
I get a few horrendous backfires, a sputtering engine that dies and refuses
to restart.
Fortunately, my son is at home to tow the car the last mile.
I suspect a fuel problem and will clean the pump and filter.
I have a nearly new battery and no reason to suspect electrical problems.
Any other ideas?
Many thanks for suggestions.
Charlie Frazer
cfrazer@oregon.uoregon.edu