Re: Is Triumph coming Back???

To: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Is Triumph coming Back???
From: "Mark the Shark" <markie@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:58:51 -0500
Cc: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Patrick is correct, BMW still owned Rover when the Riley trademark was
registered.  It was the Phoenix Group the purchased Rover for the tidy sum
of 10 pounds.

It was interesting that BMW kept the Triumph and Riley names.  John Tower
(Phoenix) tried to get the Triumph name but BMW told him it was not
negotiable.  It's hard to think the BMW would care to keep the name if they
didn't have plans to use it but with the car market worldwide in decline,
automakers scaling back I would find it hard to believe BMW would start up a
new car line.  I'm sure mentioning a British name in the boardroom of BMW
isn't a smart thing to do. :-)

1981 TR8 DHC FI
Raleigh, NC