Re: Heritage Certificate

To: Edward Woods <fogbro1@home.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heritage Certificate
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:32:47 -0700
Edward Woods wrote:

> Having just acquired a '60 TR3 with 23k on the clock, I was surprised to
> receive a certificate that was correct in VIN number and engine number, but
> differed in details such as the top color and tires. The car has a white top
> and side curtains and one original Dunlop whitewall tire. The certificate says
> "black top" and "Michelin" tires. ...First thought was that Triumph didn't
> really have an accurate record of what was built, but more probably this car
> was modified by the dealer prior to its sale, possibly at the request of the
> buyer. ...Any other discrepancies between the Heritage certificate and a car?

Ed, I received the white tonneau listed on the Heritage certificate with my TR4
when I bought it Feb. '00. But the DPO had [poorly] installed a black tonneau,
as the white one is indeed in rough shape. The white softtop on the certificate
is long gone, and the current black AMCO top is pretty old looking too. My wires
are 60 spoke, as the 48 spoke original wheels listed on the certificate were
apparently rather flimsy. The second owner rallyed the car in the mid-60s, so
I'm not surprised to see this change.

I think your guess -- dealer modifications -- is a good one, and secondly period
modifications by the original or later owner(s) would be a fair guess as well.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO