Re: Seasonal Oil Pressure Variations

To: "Sherman D. Taffel" <staffel@home.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seasonal Oil Pressure Variations
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:25:05 -0700
"Sherman D. Taffel" wrote:

> ...However, if the needle fluctuates with this test, usually the engine is
> low on oil. It's amazing what readings you get when the oil level drops
> a quart or a quart 1/2 from the 'Fill or Maximum' level - down to the
> lower or 'min' level....

Sherman, you must be feeling better -- or have cabin fever. Thanks for
the detailed observations. I've observed that if I'm a quart low the
needle seems to "shimmy" a little. You've seen this? Is that in part
what you mean by "...if the needle fluctuates..."?

> Interesting to note that in the original factory written TR workshop
> mand Owners manuals there was instruction to the new owner to check the
> oil weekly and level EVERY 250 miles. Given the sporty nature of the
> car, and the demands of the track in its racing legacy, it was implied
> ... that this 'usage' was acceptable.

Well, when I drive the TR4 (daily commute if there's no snow) I check
the oil daily -- and off the top of my head I thought the owner's manual
lists "check oil" under daily maintenance? I just pop the bonnet when
I get home as a reminder to check the oil before I leave for work. I do
have *normal* oil consumption on my new engine too, though I have
a little leftover head work to attend to sometime in the next year.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO